Everything Bagel Stuffing: A Delicious Twist on a Classic Dish
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and if you’re anything like me, you’re already dreaming of the mouthwatering feast that awaits. One dish that always takes center stage on my Thanksgiving table is stuffing. It’s the perfect complement to a juicy turkey and adds a comforting touch to the entire meal. This year, why not try something different and make everything bagel stuffing? It’s a delightful twist on a classic dish that will leave your taste buds begging for more.
What Makes Everything Bagel Stuffing So Special?
Imagine the irresistible combination of flavors that come together in an everything bagel – the savory taste of garlic, onion, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and salt. Now imagine those flavors infused into a moist and flavorful stuffing. It’s a match made in culinary heaven. The everything bagel seasoning adds a unique and delicious twist to the traditional stuffing, taking it to a whole new level.
How to Make Everything Bagel Stuffing
Making everything bagel stuffing is easier than you might think. Start by toasting some cubes of bread until they are golden brown and crispy. In a separate pan, sauté onions, garlic, and celery until they are soft and fragrant. Combine the toasted bread cubes with the sautéed vegetables and everything bagel seasoning. Add some chicken or vegetable broth to moisten the mixture, and transfer it to a baking dish. Bake until the top is golden brown and crispy. It’s that simple!
A Crowd-Pleasing Thanksgiving Side Dish
When you bring everything bagel stuffing to the Thanksgiving table, get ready for the compliments to start pouring in. This unique twist on a classic dish is sure to impress your family and friends. The combination of flavors and textures will have everyone coming back for seconds (and maybe even thirds). It’s a crowd-pleasing side dish that will make your Thanksgiving feast truly memorable.
Everything bagel stuffing pairs well with a variety of Thanksgiving dishes. Serve it alongside roasted turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and green beans for a traditional feast. If you’re feeling adventurous, try pairing it with roasted chicken, glazed carrots, and Brussels sprouts for a twist on the classic menu. The possibilities are endless, and the flavors will complement each other beautifully.
Thanksgiving is a time to gather with loved ones and indulge in delicious food. By adding everything bagel stuffing to your menu, you’re guaranteed to bring a unique and memorable dish to the table. The combination of flavors and textures will elevate your Thanksgiving feast to new heights. So why not give it a try this year? Your taste buds will thank you.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I use different types of bread for the stuffing?
Yes! While traditional stuffing is often made with white bread, you can experiment with different types like sourdough or whole wheat to add more depth of flavor.
2. Can I make everything bagel seasoning at home?
Absolutely! You can make your own everything bagel seasoning by combining garlic powder, onion powder, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and salt. Adjust the ratios to suit your taste preferences.
3. Can I make everything bagel stuffing ahead of time?
Yes, you can prepare everything bagel stuffing a day in advance. Simply assemble the dish, cover it tightly, and refrigerate. Bake it on the day of serving for a delicious and hassle-free Thanksgiving meal.
4. Can I make a vegetarian version of everything bagel stuffing?
Definitely! You can easily make a vegetarian version by using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. The flavors will still be just as amazing.
5. Can I add other ingredients to the stuffing?
Absolutely! Feel free to get creative and add ingredients like cooked bacon, dried cranberries, or chopped nuts to enhance the flavor and texture of the stuffing.
6. Can I use store-bought everything bagel seasoning?
Yes, you can find everything bagel seasoning in most grocery stores. Look for it in the spice aisle or the section with other seasonings.
7. Can I make everything bagel stuffing gluten-free?
Absolutely! Use gluten-free bread cubes and ensure that the everything bagel seasoning you use is also gluten-free. This way, everyone can enjoy the deliciousness.
8. Can I add herbs to the stuffing?
Definitely! Fresh herbs like parsley, thyme, or sage can add a wonderful aroma and freshness to the stuffing. Chop them finely and mix them in with the other ingredients.
Everything Bagel Stuffing
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 large red onion , thinly sliced
- 5 stalks of scallions , sliced, separating the white and green parts
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives , plus 2 teaspoons for garnish
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups chicken broth (quantity varies based on the size and dryness of the bagels)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons capers , if desired
- 5 large day-old everything bagels , cut into 1-inch cubes (approximately 8 cups)
- Position the oven rack in the middle of the oven.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a 3.5 quart braiser, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the onions and scallion whites to the braiser.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook until the onions are soft (about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Add the chives, garlic, and scallion greens to the braiser.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes until the garlic is fragrant and the chives and scallions are slightly wilted.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and set it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the chicken broth and eggs.
- If using capers, add them to the mixture.
- Add the bagels and the onion/butter mixture to the bowl.
- Fold the ingredients together to combine.
- Add additional chicken broth as needed to ensure the bread is well-hydrated but not mushy.
- Pour the mixture into a baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or longer if you prefer a more browned top.
- Remove the pan from the oven.
- Garnish with the remaining chives.
- Serve the dish hot.