Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey Club
Thanksgiving is over, and you have a fridge full of leftovers. The turkey is staring at you, begging to be used in a creative way. How about making a delicious Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey Club? It’s a twist on the classic turkey club sandwich that will leave your taste buds dancing with joy. Let’s dive into this mouthwatering creation!
The Inspiration Behind the Turkey Club
Imagine a perfect blend of flavors and textures. The softness of the bread, the juiciness of the turkey, the crispiness of the bacon, and the freshness of the lettuce and tomato. This is what a turkey club sandwich offers. But what if we take it up a notch with Thanksgiving leftovers?
Think about the combination of tender slices of turkey, cranberry sauce, leftover stuffing, and maybe even some mashed potatoes. Layered between two slices of toasted bread with a smear of mayo, this sandwich is like a Thanksgiving feast in every bite.
Creating the Ultimate Turkey Club
Now that we have established the concept, let’s talk about how to create the ultimate Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey Club. The key is to find the perfect balance of flavors and textures. Here’s how:
1. The Bread:
Start with a sturdy bread that can hold all the delicious fillings. Choose a bread that complements the flavors, such as a hearty multigrain or a crusty sourdough.
2. The Turkey:
Take your leftover turkey and slice it into thin, succulent pieces. If the turkey is cold from the fridge, you can warm it up slightly before assembling the sandwich to enhance the flavors.
3. The Cranberry Sauce:
Spread a generous amount of cranberry sauce on one side of the bread. The tanginess of the cranberries will add a delightful contrast to the savory turkey.
4. The Stuffing:
If you have leftover stuffing, why not use it as a layer in your sandwich? The combination of the moist stuffing with the turkey and cranberry sauce is a match made in heaven.
5. The Extras:
Now it’s time to add some extra flavor and texture. Crispy bacon, fresh lettuce, and juicy tomato slices are classic additions to a turkey club sandwich. Feel free to get creative and add any other leftovers you have, like mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables.
The Final Touch
Once you have assembled your Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey Club, give it a gentle press to bring all the flavors together. Cut it diagonally and take that first bite. The combination of flavors will transport you back to the Thanksgiving dinner table.
Enjoy this sandwich with a side of sweet potato fries, a bowl of hearty soup, or simply on its own. It’s the perfect way to savor the flavors of Thanksgiving a little while longer.
Q: Can I use turkey breast instead of leftover turkey?
A: Absolutely! If you don’t have leftover turkey, you can use freshly cooked turkey breast. Just make sure it’s sliced thinly.
Q: Can I substitute the cranberry sauce with another condiment?
A: Of course! If cranberry sauce isn’t your thing, you can try using mustard, mayo, or even a tangy barbecue sauce.
Q: Can I make the sandwich ahead of time?
A: While it’s best to assemble the sandwich right before serving to maintain the crispness of the bread, you can prepare the ingredients in advance and assemble it when you’re ready to eat.
Q: Can I toast the bread?
A: Yes, toasting the bread will add an extra layer of crunch and enhance the overall experience.
Q: Can I add cheese to the sandwich?
A: Absolutely! Cheese, such as cheddar or Swiss, can take this sandwich to the next level. Just add a slice or two between the layers of turkey and other fillings.
Q: Can I use other leftovers in the sandwich?
A: Definitely! Feel free to experiment with other Thanksgiving leftovers like mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, or even leftover gravy. Let your creativity run wild!
Q: Can I make a vegetarian version of this sandwich?
A: Absolutely! Substitute the turkey with roasted vegetables, such as sweet potatoes or butternut squash. You can also add some vegetarian stuffing or a spread of hummus for extra flavor.
Q: Can I make this sandwich with other holiday leftovers?
A: Absolutely! This sandwich is versatile and can be made with any holiday leftovers. Whether it’s Christmas, Easter, or any other celebration, use your imagination and enjoy!
The Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey Club is a delicious and creative way to enjoy your post-Thanksgiving feast. By using leftover turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, and other festive additions, you can transform a classic turkey club sandwich into a flavor-packed delight. Don’t let those leftovers go to waste. Give this recipe a try and savor the flavors of Thanksgiving a little while longer. Enjoy!
Thanksgiving Leftovers Turkey Club
- 6 bacon slices
- ⅓ cup cranberry sauce (leftover or store-bought)
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 6 slices bread (sourdough or Pullman) , toasted
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise (divided)
- 12 ounces sliced roast turkey (leftover or thick-cut deli roast turkey breast)
- ¼ head green or red leaf lettuce (leaves separated)
- 2-3 Treviso radicchio leaves or other chicory leaves (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on top.
- Arrange 6 slices of bacon on the wire rack.
- Bake the bacon until it becomes brown and crisp, which should take about 15-18 minutes.
- Once the bacon is done, remove it from the oven and set it aside.
- In a small bowl, combine ⅓ cup of leftover or store-bought cranberry sauce, 2 tablespoons of whole grain mustard, and 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
- Take 2 slices of bread, such as sourdough or Pullman, and toast them.
- Spread the cranberry mixture over one side of each of the toasted bread slices.
- Take another 2 slices of bread and toast them as well.
- Spread half of 1½ tablespoons of mayonnaise over one side of each of the toasted bread slices.
- Divide 12 ounces of sliced leftover roast turkey or thick-cut deli roast turkey breast and the reserved bacon among the bread slices that have been spread with cranberry mixture.
- Place one of the bread slices spread with mayonnaise on top of each, with the mayonnaise side down.
- Spread the remaining 1½ tablespoons of mayonnaise over the top sides of the bread slices.
- Arrange half of a ¼ head of green or red leaf lettuce