Small-Batch Sweet Potato Casserole
Are you craving a delicious, comforting dish that’s perfect for a small gathering? Look no further than this small-batch sweet potato casserole! In this article, we’ll explore the wonders of this classic dish, its rich flavors, and how to make it with ease. So, let’s dive in and discover the secrets behind this mouthwatering delight!
The Magic of Sweet Potato Casserole
Sweet potato casserole is like a warm hug on a chilly day. It combines the natural sweetness of sweet potatoes with a buttery, crunchy topping, creating a delightful balance of flavors and textures. The soft, creamy sweet potatoes melt in your mouth, while the crispy pecan streusel adds a satisfying crunch. It’s a harmonious symphony of taste that will make your taste buds sing!
A Simple Recipe for Your Small Gathering
Creating a small-batch sweet potato casserole is easier than you might think. With just a few ingredients and some simple steps, you’ll have a mouthwatering dish that will impress your guests. Preparing the sweet potatoes is a breeze – simply boil or bake them until tender, then mash them with butter, brown sugar, and warm spices like cinnamon and nutmeg. Spread the mixture into a baking dish and top it off with a sweet, crunchy streusel made from pecans, butter, flour, and more brown sugar. Pop it in the oven, and soon your kitchen will be filled with the tantalizing aroma of this delectable dish!
FAQs About Small-Batch Sweet Potato Casserole:
Q: Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
A: Absolutely! You can prepare the sweet potato casserole in advance and refrigerate it until you’re ready to bake. Just make sure to bring it to room temperature before placing it in the oven.
Q: Can I substitute the pecans with a different nut?
A: Of course! Feel free to experiment with other nuts like walnuts or almonds to add your own twist to the recipe. The choice is yours!
Q: Can I make this dish vegan-friendly?
A: Absolutely! You can easily make this sweet potato casserole vegan by replacing the butter with a plant-based alternative and using maple syrup instead of honey. It’ll still be just as delicious!
Q: Can I add marshmallows to the topping?
A: If you’re a fan of marshmallows, go ahead and sprinkle some mini marshmallows over the streusel topping before baking. As it melts, it will create a gooey, sweet layer that adds a fun twist to the dish.
Q: Can I freeze the leftovers?
A: Absolutely! Sweet potato casserole freezes well. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container or freezer bag, and when you’re ready to enjoy it, let it thaw in the refrigerator overnight before reheating it in the oven.
Q: Can I use canned sweet potatoes instead of fresh?
A: While fresh sweet potatoes are recommended for the best flavor and texture, you can use canned sweet potatoes in a pinch. Just make sure to drain them well before mashing.
Q: Can I add a touch of citrus to the dish?
A: Absolutely! The bright, zesty flavors of citrus can complement the sweetness of the dish perfectly. Try adding a squeeze of fresh orange or lemon juice to the sweet potato mixture for an extra burst of freshness.
Q: Can I make this casserole gluten-free?
A: Yes, you can! Simply substitute the all-purpose flour in the streusel topping with a gluten-free flour blend or almond flour. The result will still be a delicious, gluten-free sweet potato casserole.
Small-batch sweet potato casserole is a crowd-pleasing dish that brings warmth and comfort to any gathering. With its creamy sweet potatoes and crunchy streusel topping, it’s a delightful combination of flavors and textures that will leave everyone wanting more. So, gather your loved ones, follow this simple recipe, and savor the joy of this delicious dish. Happy cooking!
Small-Batch Sweet Potato Casserole
- 2.5 pounds of sweet potatoes , peeled and chopped into 1-inch pieces (approximately 4 medium-large sweet potatoes)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon of half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of light brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- Kosher salt
- 1 ounce of cream cheese
- 1 and 1/3 cups of mini marshmallows
- In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the sweet potatoes, half-and-half, butter, brown sugar, nutmeg (if using), and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Stir occasionally and cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes until the sweet potatoes start to break down.
- Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking covered for another 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and breaking up the sweet potato pieces as you stir. Cook until the sweet potatoes are completely tender and almost falling apart.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F and position an oven rack in the upper-third of the oven.
- Add the cream cheese to the saucepan and use a handheld mixer to fully incorporate the cream cheese into the sweet potato mixture until it becomes smooth.
- Transfer 1 cup of the sweet potato mixture to each of four 1-cup ramekins using a spatula.
- Top each ramekin with 1/3 cup of mini marshmallows.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the marshmallows are puffed and browned, approximately 5 minutes.