Quick Coffee Cake
Who doesn’t love the aroma of freshly brewed coffee in the morning? And what better way to complement that cup of joe than with a slice of moist and delicious coffee cake? In this article, we’ll delve into the world of quick coffee cakes and explore how to make them, step by step.
Why Choose Quick Coffee Cake?
Unlike traditional coffee cakes that require hours of preparation and baking time, quick coffee cakes are a lifesaver when you’re short on time but craving something sweet and comforting. With just a few simple ingredients and minimal effort, you can whip up a delectable coffee cake in no time.
The Secret Ingredient
So, what’s the secret to making a quick coffee cake that’s moist and flavorful? Sour cream! Yes, you heard that right. The addition of sour cream to the batter not only adds richness but also helps keep the cake moist and tender. It’s like a little magic in every bite!
Creating the Perfect Crumb Topping
A coffee cake isn’t complete without a crumbly, buttery topping. To achieve that perfect texture, combine flour, sugar, and melted butter to create a streusel-like mixture. Sprinkle it generously over the cake batter before baking, and watch it transform into a golden, crispy crust.
Step-by-Step Guide to Making Quick Coffee Cake
Now that we’ve covered the basics, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making a quick coffee cake:
1. Preparing the Batter
Start by creaming together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then, beat in eggs one at a time, followed by vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with sour cream. Mix until just combined.
For an extra burst of flavor, add a teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter. It will complement the coffee perfectly!
2. Adding the Crumb Topping
Once the batter is ready, pour it into a greased baking dish. In a small bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and melted butter until crumbly. Sprinkle the mixture evenly over the batter, making sure to cover the entire surface.
3. Baking to Perfection
Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) and bake the coffee cake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. The heavenly aroma wafting through your kitchen is a sure sign that your coffee cake is almost ready.
FAQs about Quick Coffee Cake
Q: Can I use other types of dairy instead of sour cream?
A: Absolutely! You can substitute sour cream with Greek yogurt or buttermilk for a tangy twist.
Q: Can I freeze the coffee cake?
A: Yes, you can freeze the coffee cake for up to 3 months. Just make sure to wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in an airtight container.
Q: Can I add nuts or fruits to the batter?
A: Of course! Feel free to add chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, or even fresh berries to the batter for an extra burst of flavor and texture.
Q: Can I use a different type of pan?
A: Absolutely! While a round cake pan is the traditional choice, you can also use a square or rectangular baking dish. Just adjust the baking time accordingly.
Q: Can I use instant coffee instead of brewed coffee?
A: Yes, you can use instant coffee dissolved in a small amount of hot water. Just make sure to let it cool before adding it to the batter.
Q: Can I use this recipe to make muffins instead?
A: Definitely! Simply pour the batter into greased muffin cups and adjust the baking time to around 20-25 minutes.
Q: Can I add a glaze to the coffee cake?
A: Absolutely! You can drizzle a simple powdered sugar glaze over the cooled coffee cake for an extra touch of sweetness.
Q: Can I serve the coffee cake warm?
A: Absolutely! Warm coffee cake pairs perfectly with a steaming cup of coffee or tea. Just be careful not to burn your tongue!
A quick coffee cake is the perfect treat for any time of day. With its moist crumb, buttery streusel topping, and delightful aroma, it’s sure to satisfy your cravings. So why not whip up a batch today and enjoy a slice of homemade goodness?
Quick Coffee Cake
- 1 and a half cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 and a half teaspoons of baking powder
- 6 tablespoons of white sugar
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of shortening
- Half a cup of milk
- 1 egg
- Half a teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- Half a cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt.
- Use a pastry blender to cut in the shortening until it resembles small peas.
- In a separate small bowl, beat the egg well. Then, stir in the milk and vanilla.
- Add the egg-milk mixture to the flour mixture all at once. Stir carefully until just blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and spread it evenly.
- Drizzle the top with melted butter.
- In a small bowl, mix together the brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the mixture on top of the cake.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.